Morale, Welfare and Recreation (MWR) Network
About this Project
To better support the well being of deployed US military personnel, UltiSat was awarded a subcontract to supply a morale, welfare and recreation (MWR) network that would provide a complete range of IP services to major bases and forward operating bases (FOBs) in Afghanistan. To meet its customerÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s demands for a reliabe network in a harsh and unforgiving environment that can handle large volumes of broadband traffic on an around-the-clock basis, UltiSat deployed its fully managed VSAT network to some of the most rugged and remote locations throughout Afghanistan.
Social networking sites have become important morale boosters to troops on the frontlines and UltiSat provides its customer with an Ã¢â‚¬Å“instant infrastructureÃ¢â‚¬Â and the capability to offer troops reliable communications. UltiSat's VSAT network services cost-effectively supports the high-data rates needed for services that include VoIP, with long distance service to the USA, videoconferencing and web cams. Social-networking sites not normally accessible on defense department networks such as MySpace, Facebook, YouTube, and Classmates Online can also be used as well as services such as iTunes, Skype, and photo-sharing sites; email; Web browsing; and other IP-based applications.
As a fully managed service running through its strategically located teleport in Denmark, UltiSat, is responsible for the program on a turnkey basis, including satellite space segment, teleport, terrestrial backhaul, telecom licensing, program management, and engineering design.
- First MWR network in theatre to use all mobile flyaway equipment
- Over 150 total remote sites deployed in Afghanistan
- Each VSAT system is contained in four small, rugged cases
- Unlimited VoIP, Internet access, video, data, and social applications (i.e., Skype, Facebook, YouTube, iTunes and Netflix)
- Millions of VoIP minutes supported per month
- In-country personnel for installation, maintenance and operations
- Scalable, flexible network can be quickly redeployed as needs change
- 24/7/365 UltiSat NOC and Technical Support
- Strategic teleport and terrestrial resources in Northern Europe